Monday, August 27, 2007

What is going on with the marriages???

I didn't want to believe it.

I didn't want to receive it.

I was heartbroken.

I was heartbroken when I heard about the impending divorce of Paula White and the marital discord between Bishop Thomas Weeks and Prophetess Juanita Bynum Weeks.

This has been a trend for the past few years. When Noel Jones was divorced-that is when it seem to begin.

Major preachers marriages failing.

I thought about it. I prayed about it. I am not the type of person to be happy to hear of a Christian marriage breaking up.

God, what is going on with all these Christian marriages???????

God showed me.

Especially in Christian marriages. People, SAINTS, we need to take care of one another. I don't mean preach about taking care of one another.

I mean turning down that opportunity to preach or sing to spend some quality time with the one God gave you. Stop pleasing folks and please God, and take care of your loved one.

Don't neglect your families or marriages for ministry. We got our priorities mixed up! We are so hyped up into believing that it is okay to not spend time with our families, our husbands, our wives to prove to people who don't care anyway that we are the anointed of God!!!

What a bunch of poppycock!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my first pastor, Bro. Michael Day, pastor of Living Way U.P.C. of LaPlace, LA, I love what he told his congregation one time. He said he will not neglect his wife, Nora, for no one in that church. I love you, I will be there for you and pray for you. But God gave me this wife, and I am going to take care of her.

That was almost 20 years ago. They had been married as teenagers years before I knew them. And they are still going strong.

That is a real man of God. Yes, anointed, love God, handled the affairs of ministry effectively, meets the needs of the sheep entrusted unto his care. But I see how he has CONSISTENTLY dealt with the wife of his youth. No matter who comes or goes to Living Way, he is enraptured with his wife. He takes her out. He prays with her. He is committed to her....NOT TO HIS MINISTRY.

Meaning...

I believe preachers can be a bit unbalanced. We get caught up so with the needs of the ministry so, that we neglect home. Then we act shocked when things blow up.

Look at Juanita Bynum. I love her with all my heart and soul. But I always wondered how wise it was to be traveling all over the world and leaving her new husband behind like that.

We need to learn balance. The glamour of ministry can blind us, it really can. We get caught up with the applause, the accolades, the approval. Oh yeah, we can preach that it doesn't affect us, but it does. And if attention is lacking at home, we seek attention elsewhere, no matter how anointed we are, no matter how much God uses us.

But when the lights are off, the power shuts down, and the folks are gone, we have to deal with reality. The umph of ministry is not with us when we are home alone and our spouse is off ministering to someone else. The umph of ministry is not there when we need our spouse to help us with the kids, when we just plain miss our spouse.

Preachers, male and female, take care of the home front. Your first ministry is NOT the church, it is your family.

Take care of your marriages. Husbands, love your wives. Wives, respect your husbands.

If our families are jacked up, then the churches are jacked up.


No comments: